Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

By Douglas Adams

The entire Hitchikers series in one big book. Yay!


Arthur Dent is really not having the best day. The city council has decided to demolish his house to build a bypass, and as his friend Ford Prefect tells him, the world is about to be demolished to make way for a hyperspatial expressway. Ford is a researcher for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and is actually from a small planet in the vicinity of Betelgeuse. The Guide is probably the most remarkable book to ever come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor, and is regarded by some civilizations as the standard repository of all knowledge. It will tell you, for instance, how to mix a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (the effect of drinking which is described as having your brains bashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick,) and it has the words DON'T PANIC across the front in large, friendly letters. Anyways, Ford rescues Arthur from earth seconds before it is destroyed, and they embark on a completely insane journey across the Galaxy, including, if you read the entire series, a visit to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, highly intelligent mice, the Babel fish (you put it in your ear and it translates for you), towels, very bad poetry, and a very depressed robot called Marvin. This is REALLY good book. I actually only have the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, so I regard the entire series as one book. Very well written, hysterically funny, and with really, really interesting characters. Read it, it's funny.

5 comments:

  1. I can comment as I have actually read this one. yeah! Marvin is the character I most identify with. :) That show we watched, Idiot Abroad, reminds me a bit of this book. Maybe it's just the dry British humour. I think "real" sci-fi fans think this is too silly, but I like it. Of course, I am not real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh! I want to read this now! Great post, and cool new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I put a lot of work into my templates, so it's nice when someone notices, although it is also fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, who says what's sci-fi and whats not? Grr. Hitchhikers Guide is so Sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete