Monday, February 8, 2010

The Blue Girl

By Charles de Lint

Seventeen year old Imogene Yeck has an imagination with a tendacy to spill out of her mouth, a prefrence to find clothes at thrift shops, the opinion that two things that will take you far in life are a spunky attitude and a vocabulary of interesting words, and a reputation for being wierd. As if that wasnt enough, her old imaginary friend is showing up in a reccuring dream and trying to warn her about something, the school ghost has a crush on her, and the anamithim are coming for her. That last is a very bad thing; the anamithim are soul-eaters, they kill you, and then you're gone. Normally when you die you just go somewhere else or become a ghost. Did I mention that faeries are real? And that they might be the reason that the anamithim are interested in Imogene?
An interesting thing about this book is that it is told from three different points of veiw: Imogene, Adrian (the ghost), and Imogene's best friend, Maxine. It skips between them; one point of veiw picks up where another left off for the whole story. A modern faerie tale, The Blue Girl is a great book, and if you can tell me anything about other books by this author I will be very happy. Oh, yeah, and about halfway through Imogene turns blue. I'm not telling you why, so if you want to know read the book.

13 comments:

  1. I have read quite a few books by this author (the titles of which escape me at this time) but I remember really liking how his faery world mixes with the human world. ps. hehehehehehe is not a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me if you remember the names of those books, and heheheheheheh IS a comment. It means I am laughing in a creepy way like I do when I read certain things. Blue Girl makes me laugh like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moonheart, The Onion Girl, and Tapping the Dream tree are the three that I remember offhand. I know he has written lots more. They are pretty offbeat and have to do with worlds not seen to most of us... kind of animal/magic worlds. I liked all of his books that I read, and after the first one, it made me want to read more. I am going to find the Blue Girl today and give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the names, I hope you like Blue Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great story! It almost made me cry when Adrian goes through the gate. I think Charles De Lint must be at least part fairy. Maybe he is the Christy character in the book? I also recall Christy's name from another of De Lints books, but I forget which one. He will put characters from a previous story in as a cameo in newer stories.

    Go read them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps. I am so glad that you read this book and then posted it here. Otherwise I would have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I thougt of Christy too!I dont think i've read enough of his stuff to know for sure if he's the same person or not or if he is part or whole faerie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked the anamithim. Arent they cool?
    They made really good villans, because they arent totaly evil, dont you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes... good point. Villians who are not totally evil are way more interesting than villians who are just all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, and you can get lots of drama out of that sort of thing. And also very interesting situations that aren't very fun for the main character. Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that saying "Hehehehehehehehehehehehe" is not COMMENTING on something...it's like...laughing or something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmph. I maintain that it counts as a comment.

    ReplyDelete