Monday, February 22, 2010

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

By Maggie Stiefvater

Sixteen year old harpist Deirdre Monaghan meets Luke Dillon at a music competition. He offers to play a duet with her and they win the competiton. That is when her life starts to change: she begins to find four leaf clovers everywhere, becomes able to move objects without touching them, and begins to see the faeries. They are watching her, and as the story unfolds it becomes clear why; their Queen wants her dead. Luke may be a faerie killer, even her dog may be fay. Can she survive? Can Luke? Can her best friend James? If you liked Impossible you will enjoy Lament. Beautiful and haunting, it is one of the best faerie tales I have read, and I mean faerie tales. Faerie tales and fairy tales, in my mind, are not the same thing. Fairy tales to me are things like Cinderella and Peter Pan, while faerie tales are things like Lament.

13 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I have nothing against fairy tales, I just prefer faerie tales. They are darker and, to my mind, more magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting distinction. Is it pronounced the same way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, have you read "Shiver" by the same author?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, faerie and fairy are pronounced the same way, and no,I have not read Shiver. Is it any good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is a sequel to Lament, but I can't remember the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, Shiver is worth getting. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will. Do you know what the sequel to Lament is called?

    ReplyDelete
  8. nope. I couldn't even find this book at our library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So... I finally found Lament at the Ingleside branch of the library in San Francisco. Even though I live in San Francisco I still use the San Mateo libray system because it is what I am used to. In any case, I was only a little way into this book (you are right... it IS good!) when it took an unfortunate bath right after I got OUT of the bath. That was last week. finally it is dry enough to continue reading and it is very good, indeed :)
    Did you find the sequel yet? I did see it at the library, but have forgotten the title :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I did find the sequel. It's called Ballad, and I'm going to do a post on it as soon as I have time. CHOIR CONCERT TODAY! Very busy am I.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Ballad was AWESOME!!! "Remember us, so sing the dead, lest we remember you" PURRRRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete