Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Beautiful Creatures

By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

In the small Southern town of Gatlin, there are no secrets and no surprises. Or at least that's what sixteen year old Ethan Wate has always thought. He's about to find out just how wrong he is when Lena Duchannes moves to Gatlin to live with the town eccentric, her uncle Macon Ravenwood. Lena's family are Casters: witches. And they're cursed. When they turn sixteen they are Claimed and become either Dark or Light. Lena's sixteenth birthday is soon, and as she and Ethan try to unravel the curse, they begin to discover exactly how many secrets Gatlin is hiding. This book took me longer than usual to read, and at first I wasn't sure I liked it, but by the time I finished it I was glad I'd stuck it out. Dark and haunting, Beautiful Creatures teeters at the edge of being a horror story, which I wouldn't usually read, but the story captured me and wouldn't let go. Well written, hypnotic, and quite creepy. Even though the story isn't as fast-paced as some, I was at the edge of my seat during the whole book. Very good.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I don't particularly like creepy stories, so I probably wouldn't want to read it, but I think you did a good job of explaining it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I don't think you'd like this one. You don't like scary stories, right? One of the things about this book is for most of the book you're just SURE one of the main characters will die. I am not going to say if they do or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then there's the hate, and the lies, and the secrets, and the backstabbing, smallminded idiots. That would be why I nearly stopped reading it in the middle. Glad I didn't though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some reason it brings me back to Warriors... they have a lot of back stabbing idiots in there! and there's a lot of stuff about blood and guts, and huge piles of bones. *sniff* catching up with authors of really captivating books is heart wrenching. waaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PEOPLE are weird! why they would do things like that i dont know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, well, whyever they do it, you pretty much have to live with it. Not much you can do about the human race. They exist, you are one of them, you don't have a choice at this point exept to put up with them.

    ReplyDelete