Monday, May 3, 2010

The Beekeeper's Apprentice

By Laurie R. King

A Mary Russel Mystery

Walking the Sussex Downs and reading, fifteen year old Mary Russell litterally trips over the famous detective Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is now retired, keeps bees, and takes a few particularly interesting cases now and then. The ageing, eccentric detective and the smart, half American teenager become friends and  Holmes teaches Russell the art of detection. She assists him with a few cases, his "apprentice". When an unknown enemy of Holmes' decides to kill both Holmes and Russell, they soon find themselves in a fight for their lives. I love this book and this series, and don't have much hope of really capturing it here. I've done my best but because of that, this review will probably be revised more than once. I love stories about Holmes, and this series is one of the best that I've read. The author really captured Holmes wonderfully. Muy bien. Very good.

10 comments:

  1. I have read this review (and the book) before, but I can't remember it well enough to know if you revised it yet. Except I am pretty sure the muy bien was not there before. I wonder if there is some way to note that something is revised?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the noting that something is revised. I did revise this one because I didn't think it was very good before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad you posted on this book! You did a very creditable job relaying the plot of this story. What is difficult to get across is the sheer art of the storytelling itself. Even with no plot at all Laurie R. King is a fabulous story teller.
    I, too, like hearing about the infamous Holmes, and this book made him so much more human than the Arthur Conan Doyle series. Pulling in Moriarty's daughter as the main protagonist in this story is just genius :) evil genius, maybe!
    I felt horrible when they had to pretend to hate each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. By the way, have you read the entire series? I remember you like the first one the best, but have you read O, Jerusalem? I can't remember which one in the series it is, but it doesnt matter. It's the story of their trip to Israel from the first book. I was so happy once I finally read it! They kept dropping hints and I was going nuts! Er, more nuts that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jeruselum is one, and ... ummm... A monstrous regiment of women is another... oh and I was just at the library today and found a new one: The Language of Bees! and it wasn't even the most recent. I AM a happy camper. I love it when I find something by a favorite author that I haven't read.

    Another of her books that is stand-alone and not part of a series that I like is "Folly".

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about Justice Hall? The Game? I'm about to read Locked Rooms. I love it when a series I like as lots of books!Purr

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh me too! I will be curious how you compare these books to the original.

    She also has the Kate Martinelli detective series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie R. King also wrote a detective/mystery series starring Kate Martinelli, woman detective.

    If that was your question, I mean :)

    If you "huh" was about comparing the sequels to the Bee Keepers apprentice I meant in terms of how the story grabbed you, how you felt she developed the characters of Mary and Holmes and Microsoft....er... Microft, etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my question was the second one. I JUST FINISHED THE GOD OF THE HIVE WHICH IS THE NINTH (I think) BOOK IN THE SERIES!!! AND I HEARD THERE WILL BE MORE! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! SUPER EXITED!

    ReplyDelete