Monday, March 1, 2010

Jingo

By Terry Pratchett

A Discworld novel

Watch Commander Sam Vimes has a lot on his plate. He is trying to find out who shot the Klatchian ambassador when an island rises out of the sea, Ankh-Morpork and Klatch decide to go to war over it, and Corporal Angua is kidnapped. Admittedly this isn't as bad as it sounds, she is a werewolf after all, but it is still worrying, so they go after her. I love Terry Pratchett's writing, he is funny, but deals with serius issues like war, murder, and opera. Every now and then he slips in a sentance that you have to read again to make sure you read it right the first time or a deep philosophicla idea. His books are very, very funny. My favorites so far are the ones about the Watch. Discworld is a flat, round, disc which is held up by four elephants which are standing on the back of a giant turtle as it moves through space. In my opinion you don't have to understand it completely to enjoy it.

8 comments:

  1. Discworld sounds so interesting. I love the whole thing about Elephants and Sea turtles! how creative! I will definitely plan on reading some of these novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totaly read some of his stuff. It's like the funniest stuff I've ever read. Nothing is safe from him. He mocks EVERYTHING about the world. I suppose some people might consider him offensive, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, in his books he has made fun of religion, the government, thievery, assasins, wizards, the police, various countries, war, murder, opera, vampires, werewolves, zombies, banking, the postal service, dwarves, the list goes on and on. he has even made fun of BREAD, for goodness sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But then he slips in something serious that makes you think, which makes his book even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I think I would like him/her (the author). Not as a person, but as an author. I'm not saying I wouldn't like him/her as a person, but that's not what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think you would like his writing. It's really good. It doesnt really matter which one you read first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also in the list of things he has made fun of are: pianos, rock music, modern technological gadgets like the iPhone, photographers, and geography.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also elves, standing stones, paperwork, ancient burial mounds, flying broomsticks, and spaceships. Probably other things too; the list goes on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete