Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sandry's Book

By Tamora Pierce

Book One of the Circle of Magic quartet

Trapped in a hidden room, Sandry calls light into a braid of embroidery thread. Daja, the only surviver of the wreck of her family's ship is rescued but declared an outcast by her people. Briar, a thief who is on his last chance, is given a choice which will change his life. And finally, Tris has been passed around by her family because they think she's cursed, and has been discarded yet again. All four are brought to Winding Circle temple by mage Niklaren Goldeye, who sees that they have unusual magics. Sandry with thread, Daja with metal, Briar with plants, and Tris with weather. As the four become friends and learn to use their magic they have no idea how soon trouble will come. Can they survive? I love this book and this author, and I think that almost everyone will agree with me. Tamora Peirce is one of my all time favorite authors and the Circle of Magic does not disappoint.

3 comments:

  1. You are right about that... Ms Pierce is incredibly prolific, but doesn't just spout drivel.... she really enchants.

    The part of this book that I liked in particular was them using meditation to focus their talents. I enjoy it when authors use real life tools to enhance the veracity of their stories.
    If this story WERE true then meditation would be the best way to help the young folks control their magic.
    The other thing that I liked was when they learned to work together. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Of course I had to go to three libraries to get them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I love her stories! I keep meaning to do the first book in the Song Of The Lioness Quartet. It's called Alanna: The First Adventure and is very good. I've noticed that she likes to write in quartets. OH! I just remembered! I know the name of the next Beka Cooper I think! I haven't been able to find anything but the name, though. And I'm not sure it's acctually the name. But I THINK the next one is going to be called Mastiff.

    ReplyDelete