Monday, January 11, 2010

Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy

By L.A. Meyer

Tossed out on the streets of London when her family died, Mary Faber was picked up by a gang of other orphans. After the leader of her gang is killed, she pretends to be a boy named Jack and becomes a ship's boy on the HMS Dolphin. Jacky has a talent for chaos and getting into trouble, and ends up in predicament after predicament. Every time she gets out of one, she gets into another. I think it is because she almost never stops to think. She is funny, outrageous, impulsive, and though she thinks of herself as "a peaceful sort of coward" ends up in the most interesting situations. I love Jacky (of course), have read the whole series so far, and am waiting impatiently for the next one. If you havn't read this do so immedietly or risk keelhauling.

14 comments:

  1. I dont know, I just thought of it off the top of my head. Should i change it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course not, I don't even know what it is, but it sounds scary and nautical, so it's a good choice of words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keelhauling is what it sounds like. you get ropes tied to your arms and legs and are dragged along the bottom of the hull from the front of the ship to the back. The ship is not taken out of the water for this. High risk of either drowning or being cut to shreds by the barnecles on the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ew, that's AWFUL! It makes me want to cry! But I think I'll go eat dinner instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, hope you enjoy your dinner though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was me,to know why look at the comments on Impossible and Girl, 16, absolute torture

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jacky. She makes me a little exasperated sometimes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She just can't seem to stay out of trouble for FIVE MINUTES! geez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished the book last night and I absolutely LOVED it! Now I want to read "Curse of the Blue Tattoo. I'll have to borrow it from the library. Is it a popular one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if it's popular or not. I don't notice the popularity of books unless it is shoved in my face or I have to wait for a few months for something I ordered to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. very funny book! although i haven't gotten the next one yet. and your right, jacky can get a little exasperating at times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally read this. I have had it since last xmas since you had two of them, and only didn't have it for a short time when I loaned it to Kathleen. I SO couldn't get into it forever, and then finally needed something for the bath and I got to the part where she is on the boat and got interested. Now I want them all!
    I like it when she says "need more information" :)
    I think it would be quite a trick to hide your gender for as long as she did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah! And on a SHIP, too! I mean, in a city, you could at least get a bit of privacy more often, but a ship with like a hundred other people! I bought and read the most recent one last(?) month and the only spoiler I will allow myself is that I feel sorry for her hair and for Jaimy. Oh, and the British government.

    ReplyDelete