Friday, January 22, 2010

Chalice

By Robin McKinley

Mirasol, a beekeeper who lives in the Willowlands, has become the new Chalice for her demense. The Chalice helps the Master and the rest of the Circle to take care of their demense. Usually anyone in a Circle position would have had a long apprenticeship, but the last Master and Chalice both died without apprentices.The new Master was sent to the priests of fire as a boy and was called back to be the Master, and Mirasol was brought up to be a beekeeper, so Mirasol and the Master have to learn everything on their own while trying to keep the Willowland from falling apart. I was kind of confused about what was going on the first time I read this book, because of the way it is written. However, I got the story enough to enjoy it, and a while later when I read it I understood it. I thought it ended too fast for the rest of the story, and wish there was a sequel. Not an action-packed book, Chalice takes its time with the story, and has an interesting plot and lovely writing.

5 comments:

  1. What I liked about this book is that both the characters were thrown in to situations way outside of their comfort zone, but they perservered and managed to find some balance in life. It DEFINITELY calls for a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completly agree, Robin Mckinley is one of my all-time favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since reading this almost every time I see or think about honey I think of Chalice. EVERY TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes i ascociate thing with books, for Chalice it's honey and golden colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also sunshine, that really golden, thick stuff you get in the middle of summer in the late afternoon.

    ReplyDelete